Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday: Personal History (Awkward)

Seventh Grade

This is me in the seventh grade. It was the Anti-Halloween/Fall Festival at my Christian school and my friends and I were the “Cool Dudettes”. I’m on the right in the yellow sweater, and that’s a piece of notebook paper taped to my chest that says “Cool Dudettes”, in case anyone doubted our coolness. This outfit was my idea of cool, or at least this was my idea of cool given what I had to work with in my closet.

This was me before I knew anything about heartbreak. Before I knew anything about true love. This was me when I trusted everyone and believed in everything I was told to believe in. This was me before I ever kissed a boy. This girl liked to laugh and make other people laugh. This girl felt awkward about her height and even though she was thin, always felt like the biggest girl in the room. She had no cavities and perfect skin and vision, but very bad hair. This girl was funny and smart and naïve. She didn’t have any walls up, wasn’t guarded with her feelings or her friendships or her heart. This girl had no idea what life would be like when she was 31. She was in for a big surprise.

Other histories here.

P.S. The hot red head on the left is Red Hot Mama. We’ve been friends since we were 11 years old. (That’s 20 years of friendship, people.) Don’t tell her that I showed you this picture because she will kill me.