Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Raw Talent, With a Side of Crazy

AI

If you watch American Idol, and you’ve ever said “they can’t be serious” out loud when you’ve seen some of the outrageous people who sing like a cat in heat and wear costumes or dress like a stripper and say things like “I know I’m good. I’ll be a star. You will have missed out on my greatness.” – this one’s for you.

The following is an exact transcription of a voicemail I received earlier this week:

Hi my name is ---- -------- and my number is --- --- ----. I just, uhhhh....wanted to know if I can get some type of record deal. Uhhh. Call me back if it sounds good or not, you know, my voice. I taped it on the....ummm.....recorder over here, I’m kind nervous so....I’m so sorry. Well, listen to my voice. Thank you.
(She hits play on what sounds like an old school tape recorder where you press play and record together.) (The song is bad.) (Real bad.)
Thank you. Have a nice day.

I suppose she thought that her “talent” would urge me to fax her a record contract immediately, since I keep them neatly stacked on my desk for just such an occasion. This is the not the first time someone has played me a song on my voicemail. I’ve had rappers "spittin their mad game" and people who “write amazing lyrics” and people calling on behalf of their friends/relatives who will “sell a million records for SURE, yo!” So the answer to the American Idol questions is....yes, Virginia, they really do think they can sing.

For other record label tomfoolery, go here.