Monday, March 14, 2005

Stages

Ryan and I went out and saw our house this weekend. Our house. It's still weird to refer to things as "ours". For thirty years I've been a "my" and now I'm about to be an "our". We bought a house that is still in the building stage, so we get to see it as it all comes together. Right now the foundation, wall frames and roof are done. There's a front door, but no knob. No counter tops or cabinets yet. All of the insulation is still exposed. We wandered from room to room taking pictures of everything single thing. I suppose every 2x4 looks the same, but we took pictures of each room anyway. It's our house. Our first home. Watching it come together is an exciting experience. I feel the same way about us. I've been thinking about what I might want to say to him on our wedding day, which makes me think back over the span of our relationship. Much like our house, it's being built. Frame by frame. Day by day. And as each step comes together, as each new layer of trust and compassion and love is added, I realize what an amazing gift this man is to me. The true love of my life.