Tuesday, March 22, 2005

My Crack is Getting Bigger

Saturday Ryan and I drove to Chattanooga to meet Baby Bingo on his third day of life outside the womb. (What an interesting feeling that must be.) Once we got into Chattanooga, three seperate people cut me off, veared into my lane, and cut me off again - all in a row. Ryan and I were shouting about stupid Chattanooga drivers and waving our fists in the air right as a Jeep cut us off. We still had our fists mid-air (and mid-anger) when a giant rock flew from the Jeep directly at our angry faces. CRACK! It scared us both. It sounded like the car had split in half - although I was still driving 75 mph down the interstate. Immediately, a small crack formed on the windshield. The further we drove, the further down the crack crept. It felt like we were in slow motion - watching the creeping of the crack. Once we got to Laura's house, we inspected the car for further damage - but all we had was a growing crack. I told Ryan I would call the insurance company on Monday and see if they really are "on my side".
Monday night I got into my car and thought "DANG! I forgot to call Nationwide!" And the crack had gotten bigger.
Tonight I got into my car after work and thought "DANG! I forgot to call Nationwide!" And the crack had gotten bigger. It's slowly making its way across the entire windshield, taking over. Getting worse. During the day, while I'm working, I forget about the crack. I forget that my windshield needs repair. I forget about the giant rock that crashed into us at full speed. I forget until I get into my car and notice that the crack is getting bigger.
Of course, this makes me think about the creeping crack in my relationship with God. I think it did sort of start out as a huge crash that startled me and made me jump with fear. I think I thought "I need to do something about this." And then I forgot. And the crack got bigger. There are many days that have come and gone and I think, "DANG! I forgot to pray!" And the crack gets bigger. There are entire days spent thinking exclusively of myself - and the crack gets bigger. Creeping - slowly. I'm terrified that one day I will wake up and not even realize the chasm between us.