Friday, March 11, 2005

Beware the Weeper

I don't know what it is about weddings that makes everyone cry. Every sappy romantic comedy has one character whose only line is, "I always cry at weddings". I get it. Weddings are fraught with emotion and high drama and tulle. I'm still 100+ days away from my own blessed event, but rarely does a day pass when I don't shed unneccessary tears. And this has been happening for several months. (note: I've been engaged for exactly two weeks.) Since I met Ryan, I've become a weeper. And I don't mean the occasional eyes-welling-up-happy-sniffle. I mean flat out wailing complete with sleeve snot and abrupt coughing. Sometimes it's warranted - but most times it's not. And it's always a complete surprise to me (and I'm sure an even bigger surprise for Ryan). The wall of wailing pounces on me like that annoying kid at Chick-fil-A who sat in the booth behind me and kept grabbing me by the hair, jerking my head backwards. I don't want to be known as a Weeper. I want to be the girl that can hold it all together. The girl who is brave and confidant and comforts those less fortunate - The Weepers. I think I used to be that girl. Before the ring. Before the wedding planning. Before Ryan. But it isn't his fault...well, ok. It is his fault, but not how you think. It's his fault that he loves me so completely I burst into tears. It's his fault that his unconditional love has my head spinning and my eyes watering. It's his fault that my hard heart has been twisted open like a can of biscuts and all my emotions, good and bad, are spewing forth.
I wonder how long this will last? I say that I want our wedding ceremony to be a short one, but what with all the weeping that I'm sure I'll be doing, I might need to put an intermission into the schedule.