Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Movies In The Park


JR2
Originally uploaded by Glamorous Jo.
Ryan -

I remember our first date – one year ago today. I was so nervous all day, wondering what would happen. Wondering if you liked me. Wondering if I looked ok. (I was wearing a new black shirt that I had bought at Banana Republic in a mass shopping frenzy trying to find something cute to wear for the intern.) Wondering if it would be awkward or strange. Wondering if Troy or Bob would find out. Wondering if it went well, if you did like me, if I could handle that.
At 6:00 you came to my office and my heart skipped a beat. You smiled that gorgeous smile and I suddenly felt like all was well with the world. We ran into Bob in the hallway and I thought for sure we were busted - but he had no clue. We went out to your car and got on our way…talking and laughing and feeling nervous. Anxious. Excited. We went to SATCO and sat outside and ate tacos. I wondered if I had food in my teeth. I felt nervous. Anxious. Excited. You were charming and funny and interesting. After dinner we went to Border’s and I showed you the book that had two essays of mine. You squealed and I squealed and I thought you were cute. Then we went to Centennial Park and discovered that we were late and the movie had already started. As we began walking through the crowd, you in front of me, you reached back and took my hand. It made my head spin and my blood swirl (is that a swoon?) and I thought you were so……interesting. We laid our blanket on the grass, in the back, where you couldn’t even really see the screen. The movie was School of Rock. But we didn’t care….we talked for hours about everything and anything. You told me your stories and I told you mine. Rowdy kids were hanging out behind us and the movie screen was partially visible in front of us, but all I could see was you. I remember that I kept thinking “could I really like the intern this much?”, “could he really be this cool?”....and I did, and you were. The movie ended without us noticing……..and people began to leave the park. Suddenly we were alone. You took my hand and we walked over to a swing facing the Parthenon. We talked some more and sat in comfortable silence. You kissed me on the forehead. And I decided I would give this a chance.
Since that perfect day there have only been more perfect days. I found out months later that you were more than the intern, more than a dare – you were the true love of my life. Since that night in the park, you’ve taught me so much about love and trust. You’ve made me laugh. You’ve held me together when I’ve fallen apart. And you’ve loved me, truly. Without limit.
So thank you, Love. Thank you for that great night in the park. Thank you for taking a chance on an unlikely girl. Thank you for truly seeing me and knowing me. You’ve been the best surprise of my life.

JoAnna