Monday, January 08, 2007

Is This Thing On?

So my friend Kelley went to Open Mic night the other week to see an old family friend do his undiscovered talent thang the way only young, single Nashville transplants with a guitar and a dream can do. She hadn't seen this particular old family friend in a month of Sundays and was excited to support and maybe catch up. She went alone* and upon walking into the dimly lit bar had to take a moment to gain her night vision. Upon acclimating, she realized she had been inadvertantly staring intently at a young upstart at the bar. He asked her to sit down. She awkwardly did. She then ordered a beer. Young Upstart then said "You know, I would have bought you that beer but I paid my utilities today."
O.
K.

*Note: Kelley is the only friend I have who can work a room like no other and yet maintain a close friendship with everyone in that room. Sincerely. And she traveled Europe. Alone. In short.....ain't no party like a party with Kelley cause a party with Kelley don't stop.

Later Young Upstart (you saw this one coming) left the bar stool to go perform his own catalog of songs. He asked Kelley if she was going to stick around.
"Errr....ummmm, " she said.

Then even later...after learning that Kelley works for a Certain Record Company, Young Upstart gave her his demo and business card. He then said the following - "You'll have to open the files on this disc...you won't be able to play them in your car. Oh...and I put my business card in there. Give me a call sometime and we can go to lunch." He also asked for her number and she said, "Ummm, that's not how it works. My name is Kelley....if you want to call me you can figure it out."

Oh young, male Nashville.....how wild and desperate you are.