Saturday, July 01, 2006

One Down...

Wedding 103

Ryan -

It's hard to begin a post like this one...a post about our first year as man and wife. I was 31 when we wed. I had heard all of the stories about how the first year is the hardest, how it's difficult to adjust to marriage. Even Tom the Frightening Marriage Counselor warned us that it's not all romance and sex.

Turns out, crazy Tom was right. This year has been so unexpected. I've experienced intense physical and emotional pain that has shaken me to the core. We're broke. We've had car troubles and yard troubles and family health troubles and let's not forget the honeymoon from hell. We've been through things that would cause other couples to throw their hands up and cry annulment. We've had some days that would cause some to end the night with slammed doors and hurt feelings.

But not us.

Wedding 101

If someone asked me to pick the best year I've had so far, I would have to say my first year being married to you. Even in the madness, the ugly parts of life that show up at the worst moments, I've never been happier. Every single day with you is the best day. There's never been one single second in this crazy year that I've wanted to throw in the towel. In fact, the reason I survived this year is because of you. Because of your love. Because of your face. I truly didn't know someone could love me so much and that I could love someone else so intensely. All those easy listening songs are right (you know, the ones they play all day at your work...the ones that stab you in the ears and make your vision go blurry). Love conquers all. We go together like a hand in glove. Love lifts us up where we belong. When I see you smile, I can face the world, ooohhhhh.

You get the idea.

Wedding 110

You are my best friend. You are the one person I run to when life gets too overwhelming and scary. You are the calm in the storm that is me. You are wise and sure and safe. You hold me and you hold me up. You are a hard worker and so unbelievably thoughtful. You are the nicest person I know. And...you're hot. You surprise me every single day with just how amazing you are. I am blessed beyond words.

On our wedding day, when they announced us man and wife, hundreds of red and white streamers burst out over our family and friends. And to me, that's how it's been ever since. Every day is a sudden burst of color. A surprise of delight falling down around us. I can't help but smile. I am more in love with you today than I ever have been before...and I can't wait for tomorrow.

Wedding 83

So in the words of Snow Patrol: All this feels strange and untrue and I won't waste a minute without you.

I love you
I love you
I love you
Jo