Monday, May 04, 2009

Another Dramatic Chapter

I'm in the hospital. Here's what's happening:

-I'm allowed to have Diet Coke!
-The toilet paper sucks.
-I don't have an IV!
-The Sugars keep dropping to dramatically low levels that make me feel as if I'm going to die and make the nurses FREAK OUT.
-I don't have to wear a hospital gown!
-I was supposed to be here 24 hours - I have now been here four days and counting thanks to The Sugars.
-I don't have to think about what to eat - they just bring it!
-Sometimes they give me Buttermilk instead of Skim milk and I don't realize it until I've taken a massive gulp. OF BUTTERMILK.
-Some of the nurses are awesome!
-Some of the nurses forget my scheduled snacks until I've wasted away into a puddle of gestationally diabetic patheticness.
-Harry is doing great!
-I worry constantly about Harry.
-One of my doctors is awesome and sweet and answers all of my questions with kindness and concern!
-One of my doctors is blunt and likes to throw around the word (and mental picture of) "stillbirth" like it's some sort of Jelly Bean Flavor that's not favorable. (sugar free of course)
-Most of the nurses have told me he's "crazy - don't worry about it"
-I still do. How could you hear stillbirth and NOT worry about it?
-So far my hospital stay hasn't been TOO terrible - lots of friends have visited and the time doesn't always drag on.
-I'm in a hospital downtown instead of the hospital near our house which means Ryan has to drive 45 minutes to see me, drive home to take care of Minnie, drive to work......he's really been putting in the miles.
-I now have to give myself a shot three times a day. With a syringe. And a needle. I was quite nervous about it but have found that I'm now a pro at driving needles into my flesh - although I don't think this is a marketable skill for anyone other than a heroin addict.