Friday, April 01, 2005

Call Me Nancy Drew

It’s a rainy Friday and I find myself looking out my office window wondering where the sun went. Our office building is small, so I pretty much know all the cars in the parking lot. A few minutes ago, an unfamiliar tan SUV was parked outside my window. I noticed a young woman (although older than me) pull up in her own SUV. She hurridly jumped out of her car with an orange greeting card envelope in her hand. She tried shoving the envelope in the driver side window of the tan SUV but it kept falling out – so she jammed it into the top of the window, looked right and left, jumped in her getaway car and sped away. Due to all the shoving, I noticed she wasn’t wearing a wedding ring. Understandably, I got up from my desk to try and make out what was written on the envelope. I thought, “maybe she’s engaged, like me, and she’s leaving a cute card for her fiancé! Awwwwww…….” I couldn’t tell what was written on the envelope – but I could see a big heart drawn on the front.
Moments later…..
A balding middle-aged man approached the tan SUV. Noticing the bright orange envelope, he looked right and then left, and then opened the card right under my watchful second floor eyes. He smiled. He reached for his cell phone to call someone, while wearing a gold wedding band. My heart sank. Was this all part of some ILLICIT AFFAIR!!!! DOESN’T ANYONE STAY FAITHFUL ANYMORE???? WHERE HAVE ALL THE FAITHFUL MEN GONE??? IS THERE HOPE FOR ANY OF US??? I wanted to run downstairs and ask Balding SUV what he was all smiles about. Demand to know what this was all about. Shout at him about love and commitment and honesty. I saw myself, red faced and agitated while he (no doubt) tried to escape from my clutches – all the while the background music playing “If you can’t be with the one you love, honey, love the one you’re with….” I imagined him driving away while I shook my fist and cried out “ADULTERER!!!!!!!”
But…
Then I realized maybe it WAS his wife. Maybe it was his daughter. Maybe it was his secretary and he’s having an illicit affair. Maybe it’s none of my business. Maybe I should get back to work.