Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Happy Crowded

For 31 years I slept alone. All by my lonesome in a big bed just for me. I had all the covers to myself, all the pillows. I could toss and turn and move this way and that. I could do the splits if I wanted. Snore. Drool. Eat crackers. Watch late night informercials. Read. I'm a person who loves to sleep....loves to sleep...so I've always taken great pains to make the most comfortable bed situation possible. I was reminded of my 31 years of vast-bed-space-all-to-myself this morning at 3am when a wet dog nose was burrowing into my side. And an elbow of a husband was flung perilously close to my left eyeball. And Minnie was stealing ALL of the covers. I was shivering and squished and annoyed and awake....at 3am.

But.

Truly.

I don't mind. Even though I now have to constantly tug at the covers, keep my arms and legs to myself, sleep with a dog who wakes up 30 times a night to walk around the bed to find a new spot and next to a husband who gets too hot if any part of my body touches him....I don't mind. Now when I am startled awake from a nightmare, I'm not alone. Now when there's creepy noises outside, I'm not alone. Now when I've had a bad day and things have escalated to end of the day tears....I am not alone. Now I have my family surrounding me.

My little family. All in one bed.