Friday, March 18, 2005

To Drink or To Die

Ok...so my Dad is a southen Baptist preacher. If you know anything about southern Baptists and their preaching, you know this - drinking alcohol is forbidden. And by forbidden, I mean damnable by hell fire forbidden. I've known this fact my entire life - from the womb. It wasn't until I was 20 that the thought ever occurred to me that you might not actually go to hell if you drink a beer. I met some people who were godly, passiontely loved Christ, and liked to party like it was 1999. This threw my "drink and die" theory into a tailspin. Now I'm 30, and my views are different than they once were. I have many friends who partake of the vine - and I get it. The don't get drunk. They don't act a fool. They don't drive under the influence. They just enjoy beer. Or margaritas. These thirty years I have remained a teetotaler - but have loosened my grip on the black and white line. I'm perfectly happy being a non-drinker and feel sure that I will remain so for life.
Until today.
Today I read an article on yahoo.com (my main news source) titled "Moderate Drinking Appears to Cut Diabetes Risk". Apparently, studies show that I am at a high risk for developing Type 2 diabetes because I don't have a glass of wine for dinner. Because I don't drink green beer on St. Patrick's Day. Those at high risk are teetotalers and heavy drinkers. So now I'm being lumped in with the heavy drinkers? Aren't I supposed to be the opposite of that? Aren't I supposed to better for never drinking? What am I supposed to do now? Drink a cocktail every night before dinner?